Tuesday 2 June 2015

Apparently, Losing Weight Is Rocket Science

Apparently, Losing Weight Is Rocket Science


For years, I've joked: "Losing weight is not rocket science Shut up and move your feet and you drop the weight.." (The difficulty is all the "mental noise" that gets in the way.) Anyway, I've been wrong, because apparently it is rocket science.

Let me explain.

I train people across this vast land I meet over the Internet or through referral. Of course, if you do not reside in the community that I call home, our sessions are over the phone. Consequently, it is unlikely to have met them face to face, or even know what they look like. Most of the time, unless it comes into the conversation, I am aware of his vocation, and my goal is to help them lead beyond the traps to lose weight or change another habit that they do not like about themselves .

With this as background, after calling my client asked me to wait as he closed the door to avoid disturbing your coworkers. This led me to ask: "What do you do for a living?"

"I'm a genius," he said, "I study [something I could not even begin to understand about solar winds]."

After getting past my initial geek-fest about really working with someone who is doing what I would have liked to do (if I was willing to being a better student in college, of course), got down to business on its progress; I'd hit a rough patch. Most people who are losing weight - to a healthy and sustainable rate - perhaps drop a pound a week on average over time. There were only about 16 ounces poured in three weeks, and was understandably disappointed.

But what struck me was how they handled this unfortunate slow. Many of us, when the weight is not coming out as expected, "Freak Out". There is no other way to say it. Bad news on the scale triggered all sorts of horrible thought: our entire weight loss will be reversed and never will "get". This triggers an exaggerated emotional reaction which generates harmful belief, "is not working. Why bother?" This in turn causes the need to return to the way we used to eat, which of course you put weight were missing (though slowly), causing a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Rocket scientists, or at least it seems to think differently. He said: "I will not get the results I expected."

"I understand," I replied. "How I can help?"

"I do not think you can. I just have to analyze the variables in the equation and adjust to alter the outcome."

"What do you mean?"

"Apparently, if one is to judge by the results, I'm fine eating too much or not enough active - .. Or both So I'm going to increase my activity to 10,000 steps a day and monitor the consequences If it works as planned, I must be on my way. If not, the next step would be to cut calorie intake. Sound like a plan? "

"Uh, yes." I did. And it does.

Look, that's the thing. Losing weight is just another objective, and each goal has a plan. For example, if we decided to drive across the country, we do not just willy-nilly jump in the car and leave. We realize we have to pack, determine a route and locate housing. Those not guarantee the strategy will work as expected. After all, the roads are closed, over time, lost luggage, cars are broken. We do not like, but we adjusted as necessary until we get to where we go.

Planning is not a panacea for success. "These things happen" too often. However, like any trip, when we come to a detour, not just park there and live. Adjust and move forward.

After all, the weight loss is not brain surgery.

Scott "Q" Marcus is an expert in weight loss motivation that specializes in helping baby boomers live happier and healthier lives. He is a professional speaker, syndicated columnist and the CRP (Chief Recovering Perfectionist) of ThisTimeIMeanIt.com, a site for people who are tired of making promises to themselves, but are willing to do what it takes to make reality the changes. In addition, it conducts speeches, workshops and presentations around the country on how to achieve goals, improve attitude, and enjoy the process. You can contact him to talk, coaching or consulting, or you can sign up for free semi-weekly "Monday Memo motivation"please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment